MAKO - Australian News
- David Alan Bowen
The purpose of this website/ information
is to promote public awareness/protection, prevent you and those close to you from
the potential dangers posed by individuals who have committed sex offences in the past
and to deter sex offenders from offending/re- offending. Any criminal actions taken by
persons against the offenders named within this site, may result in arrest and prosecution
of those persons.
Safety For Women
Australian Politicians/ Contacts
Victims forced to wait for compensation from Eltham sex offender
A child sex abuse victim who waited 30 years for justice must now wait for compensation.
The County Court has ordered former Eltham doctor and convicted pedophile David Alan Bowen to pay
$210,000 in compensation to his two victims.
Among the highest awards for compensation under the Sentencing Act in Victorian history, it came
a day after the Court of Appeal cut the 64-year-old’s sentence by four months.
But the victims will now have to apply to the Department of Justice to request that property seized
after Bowen was sentenced last year be used for the pay-out.
Property and shares worth more than $1 million were seized last March.
In court on Friday, February 29, Bowen was accused of hiding assets to avoid paying compensation.
Bowen had told the court he was barely solvent and could only hand over $20,000.
But Judge James Duggan said he did not believe Bowen, a well-established GP with no family to support.
“When one looks at the history of recent transactions, it seems to me that the likely explanation for
his current position is that he attempted to place his assets beyond reach to the
extent that he can,” he said.
Slater and Gordon lawyer Adam Hill, acting for one of the victims, said his
client could not understand
why Bowen’s 21-month sentence was cut by four months the day before such significant
compensation was awarded.
“My client is grappling with the correlation between the two,” Mr Hill said.
Justice Frank Vincent reduced Bowen’s sentence yesterday, saying the sentencing judge
had erred in treating two of the 18 charges as sex offences.
Bowen had pleaded guilty to 11 counts of indecent assault and seven counts of gross
indecency against two boys, who were 12 and 14 when the abuse began.
Mr Hill said his client was haunted by the abuse, which had impacted on his adult
life and relationships.
The lengthy legal proceedings were extremely distressing, he said.
Doctor jailed again for sex assaults
A doctor jailed in 2005 for sexually assaulting two boys was today given another prison
sentence for offences against five other youths.
A Melbourne judge told David Alan Bowen, 67, he abused his position as a doctor to commit
Judge Michael McInerney said Bowen treated the crimes as “something he thought he was totally
safe doing” because he believed there was no threat to him.
Bowen pleaded guilty in the County Court to five charges of indecent assault against the boys
more than 30 years ago.
He was previously jailed for abusing two boys aged 12 and 14 in the 1960s and 1970s.
But after The Age reported in 2009 that Bowen had sought to be re-registered the victims of the
new offences came forward.
In his sentencing remarks this morning, Judge McInerney said the boys, then aged between 11 and
17, were assaulted by Bowen during medical examinations.
He said that while the prosecution and defence agreed that the crimes were at the lower end of
heinousness, the offences had a great effect on the victims and were a breach of trust against
Judge McInerney said Bowen had demonstrated remorse and suffered depression, which was the result
of his own criminality.
He was jailed for two years but the judge suspended the sentence for three years.
Pedophile doctor David Alan Bowen loses medical licence for four months
A pedophile doctor has been stripped of the right to treat patients and may face fresh
allegations after a dramatic about-face by medical authorities yesterday.
The Medical Practitioners Board cancelled Dr David Alan Bowen's medical licence four
months after he was released from jail for sexually abusing boys, aged 12 and 14, in the 1960s and '70s.
A fortnight ago lawyers for the board recommended a disciplinary panel give the suspended
doctor back his licence so he could work as a family GP in Eltham, based on their belief
there was no evidence suggesting he had assaulted patients.
But the recommendation was reversed yesterday -- nine days after the Herald Sun revealed
witnesses had come forward, after reading about the case, alleging they were assaulted by
Dr Bowen while underage patients.
At yesterday's reconvened hearing, counsel assisting the board, Andrew Clements, told the
panel that although new statements had been received they could not be considered under the
terms of the current case.
However, he told the panel he had changed his original recommendation and now believed it
was appropriate to deregister Dr Bowen after learning the panel did not have the authority
to order him to be assessed by the Sexual Misconduct Assessment Service.
Listing Australian Convicted Paedophiles/ Sex Offenders/ Child Killers..
FREE Public Service..
Safety For Women
Sex Offenders- Electronic Tagging
Victim Assistance/ Referral
Copyright © MAKO
2010. All Rights Reserved.