Evil On A Boy's Doorstep
POLICE fear a man who sexually
assaulted a 14-year-old boy inside
his own home after following him
from a McDonalds restaurant will
Detectives yesterday released
security camera images of the
suspected attacker in the hope he
would be identified before he had
the chance to target his next victim.
The teenager was returning to his
house in Haberfield after buying a
hamburger for lunch on Thursday
when he was confronted at his front
door, police said.
He was then forced inside the residence, dragged to a bedroom and
indecently assaulted. The teenager's
19-year-old brother was also home
during the 10-minute attack and
eventually frightened the man off.
It is believed he initially
demanded to be allowed inside the
house after accusing the youth of
stealing from him.
He then used the ruse as an
excuse to bodily search the boy.
"We're quite worried he might
reoffend given the time of day that
this matter occurred and also the
location," Detective Chief Inspector
David Bennett said yesterday. "It
was certainly quite brazen and quite
"Obviously a person who is willing to do that is quite willing to
commit further offences."
There was nothing to yet indicate
the man had committed previous
sex offences, Inspector Bennett
said. But detectives were continuing
to sift the force's corny uterised child
protection register in the hope of
finding a match with the information they have gathered so far.
The man is described as white,
European, about 40 years old, of
average build, clean shaven and with
short, greying hair.
He is captured on closed-circuit
television following the boy home
about 12.40pm and then running
from the house towards Parramatta
Road 30 minutes later, dressed in a
light blue flannelette shirt over a
dark blue T-shirt and light blue
"When you look at the footage,
the child is initially walking along
and then a short time later you actually see the other person walking,"
Inspector Bennett said.
"So there is no indication that the
child believed he was being
followed at that stage."
Police also said there was no
suggestion the man approached the
boy at the McDonalds outlet.
Both youths had given statements
about the incident but were yet to
examine the tape in detail, Inspector
Although not physically injured,
he said the younger boy had undergone counselling for emotional
The concern is just how far the
matter might have gone if the older
boy hadn't been at home at the
time," an officer said.
"The circumstances of the attack
would seem to fit a predatory
approach and it may not have been
the first, or the last time it happens."
The Sun Herald (23-1-2005)