Australian News

The purpose of this website/ information is to promote public awareness/ protection, prevent you and those close to you from the potential dangers posed by individuals who have committed sex offences in the past and to deter sex offenders from offending/ re- offending. Any criminal actions taken by persons against the offenders named within this site, may result in arrest and prosecution of those persons.

Home    About MAKO    Services    Contact    Prevention    MAKO/Files    Community Notification    Report    Referral    Profile's    Facts/ Stats    Online Dangers    Child Safety    MAKO Petitions    Research/ Resources    Books    DNA Info
Safety For Women    News/ Articles    Your Comments    Australian Politicians/ Contacts    Join    Sponsors    Donations    Links

Brutal Killer's Day In Court

HE was just 16 when he was jailed more than 20 years ago for one of Tasmania's most brutal crimes, but yesterday Frankie Lyle Curtis was in court again.
This time it was to have his name placed on the state's sex offenders register.
Curtis, now 37, who was released from Risdon Prison under strict parole conditions on Monday last week, was jailed with his older brother for a brutal abduction, rape and murder at Gretna in 1986.
Yesterday, Hobart magistrate Peter Dixon ordered Curtis's name be placed on the register for 7-1/2 years, meaning that his every move will be closely scrutinised during this time.
Now living in Swanston St, North Hobart, the notorious killer appeared expressionless in the courtroom, wearing jeans and a dark coloured T-shirt, and sporting a long, dark curly hairstyle.
In February 1986, Curtis and his older brother Jamie John Curtis went on a drunken crime spree around Hobart and the Derwent Valley that was labelled as being among the state's most "violent and horrific" crimes.
First the duo abducted a 15-year-old delivery girl, who escaped from the boot of their car before they could rape her.
The brothers then returned to their Glenorchy home, burst into the next-door flat and bashed 22-year-old Dean Allie.
They sexually abused his fiancee, then drove the pair to Gretna and stabbed and killed Mr Allie and dragged his body into the bush, before releasing his fiancee from the car boot, abusing her again before she escaped when the men fell asleep.
Curtis was originally given a life sentence in June 1986, but in 1996 he was re-sentenced to 30 years and became eligible for parole in early 2004.

The Mercury (16-1-2007)
Linda Smith

MAKO/Files Online.. Listing Australian Convicted Paedophiles/ Sex Offenders/ Child Killers.. FREE Public Service..

Killer To Walk Free

THE man convicted of one of Tasmania's most horrific murders is set to walk free.
Frankie Lyle Curtis, 37, was granted parole yesterday after serving two thirds of a 30-year sentence.
He will be set free from prison in early January.
Curtis was 16 when he brutally bashed and stabbed Dean Allie through the heart.
The killer also raped Mr Allie's fiancee during a murderous rampage in 1986.
The murder victim's sister, Carol Allie, said last night she was deeply angered by the Parole Board's decision.
"He doesn't deserve to come out," Ms Allie said.
"In my opinion he should be there until he comes out in a box."
But Ms Allie said her family was no longer scared of Curtis and would not hide away.
"He took a lot away from us, but we will not let him do anything to us anymore," she said.
"We are not frightened by him -- we are looking to the future, not the past."
Dean Allie's mother, Joyce Allie, said the decision brought back vivid memories of her 22-year-old son's death.
"It brings back everything that happened on that day," Mrs Allie said.
"It will take another few weeks for it all to subside again."
Curtis was originally given a life sentence in June 1986, after being found guilty of murder, forcible abduction, aggravated burglary, four counts of causing grievous bodily harm, 10 counts of assault, two counts of indecent assault and three counts of rape.
But in 1996 he was re-sentenced to 30 years, under truth in sentencing laws. He was given a non-parole period of 18 years, making him eligible for parole in 2004.
In yesterday's decision, the Parole Board said it had considered the "severe suffering" of the victims both at the time of the murder and today.
"They are still suffering and will continue to suffer into the future," the board said.
Although Curtis became eligible for parole in 2004, the board notes that Curtis withdrew his own parole application in order to complete the sex- offender treatment program.
The board noted Curtis entered the program of his own volition and attended it for 19 months.
"He appears to be remorseful and acknowledges his own part in participating in the offences," the board said.
"The likelihood of the prisoner re-offending was considered by the psychiatrist, who states the opinion that this risk is very low."
On February 15, 1986, Curtis and his older brother Jamie John Curtis, also known as David Watson, went on their murderous rampage.
They left a Sandy Bay hotel at 5.30am and decided to search for a woman to rape.
They abducted at knifepoint a 15-year-old girl on her newspaper round and imprisoned her in the boot of their car.
She escaped from the boot unmolested before the brothers arrived back at their Glenorchy flat.
The brothers then decided to rape the woman living next door.
They broke into her house while armed with a knife and tied up her fiance, Dean Allie. They dragged Mr Allie into the bathroom where they punched and kicked him.
The woman was repeatedly raped by the pair before being driven to Gretna with Mr Allie.
The brothers dragged Mr Allie into the bush and Jamie Curtis stabbed him 12 times.

www.news.com.au (11-11-2006)
Anne Mather

Parole Fear On Killer

ONE of Tasmanian history's most vicious killers could be about to walk free.
But the sister of the man he brutally bashed and stabbed through the heart says he should never be released.
Frankie Lyle Curtis, 37, is due to appear before the Tasmanian Parole Board today.
Carol Allie, sister of murder victim Dean Allie, said her family had been told that Curtis was expected to be granted parole.
The normally media-shy Ms Allie says she has spoken out because of concern for the community.
"I want to let everyone know he is out. It is not fair people don't know," Ms Allie said.
She said recent revelations in the Sunday Tasmanian about another brutal killer -- Dean James Kemp, who fled Tasmania two years ago soon after being paroled -- had caused her great concern.
"Once they get out they don't seem to worry about them and what they do," she said.
Ms Allie said her family had asked that any parole be conditional on Curtis not being allowed near their homes.
Another plea for a photo of the offender, who has been in jail for 20 years, was rejected.
Despite Curtis' impending release, Ms Allie said she was determined not to let it ruin her life or the lives of her family members.
"I'm not going to let him ruin my life any more," she said. "I let him run my life for 18 years and I won't do that any more."
Two years ago when Curtis was first eligible for parole, Ms Allie was still living in fear and afraid to let her children go out without her.
She called for funding to increase security at her home.
Now she says those days are behind her. But she still believes Curtis is too dangerous to ever be released.
"I don't want to see him out. What if he does hurt someone else, or kills someone. What will the parole board say then?
"Dean will never come back from where he is. By rights he (Curtis) should be staying there (in jail) until he comes out in a box."
On February 15, 1986, Curtis and his older brother Jamie John Curtis, also known as David Watson, went on their brutal crime spree.
First they abducted a 15-year-old girl out delivering newspapers, but she escaped before they could rape her.
They then returned to their Glenorchy home and decided to rape the woman living next door.
They broke in and tied up her fiance, Dean Allie, at knifepoint and punched and kicked him. After repeatedly raping the woman the brothers drove the couple to Gretna.
Mr Allie was dragged into the bushes where Jamie Curtis stabbed him 12 times. Still alive, the younger Curtis grabbed the knife and plunged it into Mr Allie's heart before rolling him over and stabbing him in the back.
They again sexually assaulted the woman, who only escaped after they fell asleep.
A decade ago Frankie Curtis was given a 30-year sentence, then the highest fixed-term sentence ever handed down, with an 18-year non-parole period. He was first eligible for parole in 2004.
Parole Board chairman Andrew McKee confirmed Curtis would have an application for parole assessed today.

The Mercury
Luke Sayer (26-10-2006)

Outrage Over Killer's Leave

ONE of Tasmania's most notorious murderers and rapists has been granted special reintegration leave to prepare for his possible parole next year.
The man, now 34, was 17 when he and Jamie Curtis, then 30, were convicted of the brutal murder of Dean Allie at Gretna in February 1986 and the rape of Allie's girifriend.
He was named in court and his name was published during his trial.
However, under Tasmania's Youth Justice Act enacted in 1997, he cannot be named today because the offence was committed when he was under 18.
He has been granted approval by Attorney-General Judy Jackson for reintegration leave which will begin on Friday next week when he will visit his parents at Blackmans Bay for four hours.
The approval has outraged one of his victims who was a 15-year-old newspaper delivery girl when she was abducted at knifepoint eariy on a Sunday morning at Sandy Bay.
The victim received a letter yesterday informing her of the leave and later a phone call from the Victims Assistance Unit giving specific details of when the leave would begin.
"I fear for my life and I won't let my children out of the house when he is out," said the woman, who did not want to be identified.
"I have had counselling for 17 years and I've got a security system but I'm still scared to go out.
"If the community could see what he did, I don't think anyone would want him out and about.
"I think the Victims Assistance Unit is only for the criminals, not the victims."
The woman, now 32, said she had never been able to get over her ordeal.
"Still to this day I can remember his face and voice," she said.
"I have tried to black out what happened but I can't."
When she was abducted by Curtis and the youth, she managed to pick the boot lock from inside the car in which they had locked her, escape unmolested at Glenorchy and run for help.
The letter explains that reintegration leave is provided to people who may be eligible for parole to ensure reintegration into the community will be as easy as possible for the offender, the general community and "family members".
His leave initially will be restricted to four hours and he will be accompanied by a custodial officer.
"Over time, this will increase to eight hours of unsupervised leave, then 24 hours, and finally 48 hours," the letter said.
He will be eligible for parole next February and is serving his sentence at the minimum security Hayes Prison Farm.
Last year Jamie Curtis, formerly known as David John Watson, was given the longest non-parole prison term in the state's history - 30 years.
Chief Justice William Cox said the criminal conduct of Curtis and the youth on 15 February 1986 beggared description.
"It was a sustained course of brutal abduction, assault, sexual assault and ultimately murder in the vain hope of escaping detection and it lasted throughout a period of some 12 hours," he'said.
The family of Dean Allie last night declined to comment on the re-integration leave.

The Mercury
Sue Bailey (1-7-2003)

MAKO/Files Online.. Listing Australian Convicted Paedophiles/ Sex Offenders/ Child Killers.. FREE Public Service..

Australian News
Wanted Offenders
Safety For Women
Report Sex Crime
Victim Assistance/ Referral
Community Notification

Search on: Google - Google USENET - Yahoo - AltaVista - All the Web - Gigablast - HotBot - Lycos - Teoma - WiseNut

Copyright © MAKO 2011. All Rights Reserved. Legal/Disclaimer/ Privacy/ Terms Of Use. <