Government Accepts Reasons For Crime Details Delay
THE State Government says
it is satisfied with an explanation from police about their
handling of a sexual assault of
a teenager in Rundle Mall
earlier this year.
Premier Mike Rann asked for the
report into the sexual assault of
the 14-year-old boy in a toilet on
June 21, which the police failed to
publicly reveal for a month.
At the time Mr Rann said he was
"just appalled, absolutely appalled" that details were not made
available in the interests of public
"I think there is community concern about that (delay), certainly
I want to know the reasons why,"
Although the Government received the report two days later,
it has refused to release full details.
A spokesman for Police Minister
Kevin Foley said the Government
would only say it was satisfied with
Police Commissioner Mal Hyde's
The teenager was using the public toilets in the Myer Centre food
court when he was attacked by a
man armed with a knife.
"The police have provided an
adequate explanation and the
Minister was satisfied the police
have re-assessed their procedures
since the incident," the spokesman
Police have again come under fire
in the past week for not revealing
an attack on two girls at Christie
Downs on October 21 in which they
were forced to strip by a knife-
Police have since released details
of nine attacks in and around Adelaide dating back to July.
In one of the most recent attacks,
a young woman was grabbed by a
man at Campbelltown on Wednesday afternoon.
The woman, a health professional, 21, told the Sunday Mail
she was walking to the bus stop in
Lower North East Rd when the
attack happened about 5pm.
"I was on my way to the bus stop
and he was walking towards me."
the victim, who did not want to be
"He said 'hello' and I said 'hello'
back which I shouldn't have done.
"He grabbed my arm."
The woman said she feared the
offender was going to drag her into
a nearby park or a block of flats
near the road.
"It happened right on the side of
the road," she said. "There were
lot of cars but it just all happened
The woman said she was now
"worried" about walking alone.
The offender is described as
Caucasian, aged in his mid-20s with
a stocky build.
He had closely-shaved light
brown hair and was clean-shaven
with a clear complexion and big
lips. He was well groomed and
wearing a neat sports jacket and
In another incident, an 11-year-
old girl has told police she was
approached by a man while walking in Port Noarlunga on Friday
The girl told police she was walking along Dodd St about 4.45pm
when a man in a four-wheel-drive
stopped and asked if she wanted
The girl was unhurt and ran to
a nearby house while the man fled.
He is believed to be aged about
30 with a heavy build and had a
brown goatee beard.
He was wearing a red baseball
cap, a singlet and a sleeper earring
in his right ear..Crime Stoppers 1800 333 000.
Sunday Mail (14-11-2004)
Matt Clemow/ Leisha Petrys