-  # Simon Jacob Smith
The purpose of this website/ information is to promote public awareness/ protection, help prevent
you and those close to you from the potential dangers posed by individuals who have committed
sex offences in the past and to deter sex offenders from offending/re-offending.
Any criminal actions taken by persons against the offenders named within this site,
may result in arrest and prosecution of those persons.
Safety For Women
Australian Politicians/ Contacts
'MAKO/Files' Online and
MAKO/Files Online WTC are Australia's 1st " FREE PUBLIC" Paedophile/Sex offender registries, and collectively list/ name
over 2000 offenders nationwide, with more offenders being added on a regular basis.. 98+% of offenders listed in the
MAKO/Files Online and MAKO/Files
Online- (WTC) have been convicted by a court of law.
(The MAKO/Files Online also lists Child Killers and individuals convicted
of other forms of child abuse/NOT only child sexual abuse)
A typical Online
MAKO/File (offenders file) may include the
where possible,occupation,offence-s committed,sentence received by the court, and last known
(last known location is taken from time of offenders
offence/sentence,unless otherwise stated).
AWARENESS = PREVENTION..
Not only can the MAKO/Files online be used by the Australian PUBLIC to better
protect themselves and their CHILDREN/ families from proven sex offenders,
they have many other benefits, including..
some offenders = yet another form of prevention..
+ being a useful resource
for Australian and overseas Companies-businesses-organisations
to assist with screening potential employees/volunteers etc..
+ a useful resource for media
+ a useful method of
constantly lobbying Australian Government/s and politicians to do more to
protect the PUBLIC from sexual predators.
"Tougher sentencing for offenders,greater government
funding for prevention/better victim assistance and public sex offender
registries would be a good foundation to work from."
Simon Jacob Smith
31 yrs old (2011)
VIC- West Melton
Sentenced in the
Melbourne County Court 11-3-2004 to 10 yrs jail/ 7 yrs non parole.
Pleaded guilty to rape (2 counts)/ 1 count each of stalking and abduction/ 1 count of
intentionally causing injury.
Abducted, raped and bashed a 60 yr old woman soon after stalking a 73 yr old
woman, on the 7-12-2002. Smith hit
the woman on the head wth a crowbar, dragged her
to his car, drove to a secluded location and raped
Simon Jacob Smith
Rapist Luke Gill's photo under wraps
POLICE have refused to release the mugshot of jailed brutal rapist
Luke Benjamin Gill.
Gill was jailed for 19 years on Wednesday for a shocking rape that nearly killed an innocent woman in the Little Malop St Mall in 2006.
And despite legislation being passed last year allowing Victoria Police to release mugshots, they say they cannot release Gill's image.
The legislation will not become law until June 1 and police were yesterday unwilling to make an exception and release the mugshot before that date.
"We do not release them," a police spokeswoman said.
The spokeswoman said the Geelong Advertiser would have to make a Freedom of Information request to get Gill's mugshot.
Such a request would normally take at least a month.
Previous requests by the Advertiser for mugshots under Freedom of Information have been denied.
As a result, the Advertiser has repeatedly used artist's impressions of the convicted rapist when covering his trial for his brutal rape.
The State Government introduced legislation, allowing mugshots of convicted offenders to be released, in Parliament last year after a media campaign.
Police stopped releasing mugshots to the media after convicted rapist Simon Jacob Smith complained to the Victorian Civil and Administrative
Tribunal about a suburban paper publishing his mugshot.
The new legislation allows police and other law enforcement agencies to provide photographs of convicted offenders to media organisations.
Media organisations will have to apply to the Chief Commissioner for the mugshot to be released.
State Government spokesman Alex Twomey said the legislation recognised that mugshots should be released to media outlets.
Mr Twomey said the Government had held up its end of the bargain.
"To enable mugshots to be released, a change to legislation was required which the Government has done," he said.
"This will assist Victoria Police to fulfil its functions, operate as a deterrence measure, and as a means of enhancing the feeling of safety in the community."
Gill's 19-year sentence included a 14-year non-parole period.
He will be 44 when he becomes eligible for parole.
Judge Geoffrey Chettle took into account the brutality of the rape and the absence of any explanation from Gill for his behaviour when imposing the extra condition.
Mugshots banned after rapist complaint
VICTORIA Police has placed a moratorium on releasing mugshots of convicted criminals to the media after a jailed
rapist complained it was an invasion of his privacy.
Simon Jacob Smith, 25, was jailed for 10 years in 2004 after stalking, abducting and twice raping a 60-year-old woman and injuring a 73-year-old woman.
When his mugshot was released to a suburban Melbourne newspaper after his sentencing, he complained to the Privacy Commissioner
that it was an invasion of his privacy and he was humiliated by its publication.
Privacy Commissioner Paul Chadwick took Smith's complaint to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) in April, which ruled in his favour.
VCAT said police must now tell offenders their mugshot is about to be released under the Freedom of Information Act (FoI) and
invite them to appeal to the tribunal to stop that release.
The ruling has sparked confusion and outrage, with police placing a moratorium on releasing any further mugshots of convicted criminals.
Acting Superintendent Bruce Thompson, of the Victoria Police Freedom of Information and Privacy Division, said the ruling did
not affect the release of mugshots relating to solving crimes or finding escapees.
But he said police wanted further clarification from government as to how the amended law stood.
"Certainly communication is under way with government to clarify where we think we're at as an organisation, and I'm sure the
government will take the appropriate response, perhaps assisted by the public debate that's now been raised," he told reporters.
"I think there's an openness and transparency of justice argument, in that people of Victoria might consider they're entitled
to a photograph of those convicted in their courts."
Victorian Attorney-General Rob Hulls said police had always exercised discretion over the release of mugshots without the need
to receive an FoI application and the VCAT decision did not change that.
"However, if a person or news organisation makes an application under FoI to obtain a mugshot, there are procedures that have
existed for some time and need to be followed," he said.
Mr Hulls said police had not officially contacted the Government for clarification of the changes, but the Government was keen
to look at any necessary measures to address their concerns.
"The publication of an offender's photo for reasons of public safety or police investigation is a long held practice
and should continue," he said.
Privacy Commissioner Paul Chadwick said "habitually" releasing police mugshots to accompany media reports of sentences
would upset the balance that had existed for years in relation to identifying people involved in court cases.
Mr Chadwick said mugshots released in the internet age remained available permanently and could be further misused as time passed.
The Victorian Crime Victims Support Association spokesman, Noel McNamara, said criminals forfeited their right to privacy
at the time they came into their victims' lives uninvited.
Rapist jailed for 10 years
A Melbourne man who stalked a 73-year-old woman before bashing and raping a 60-year-old widow was today jailed for 10 years.
Simon Jacob Smith, 24, of outer suburban West Melton, pleaded guilty in Melbourne's County Court to two counts of rape,
stalking, abduction and intentionally causing injury.
The court heard Smith left a Melton nightclub about 5am (AEDT) on Saturday, December 7, 2002 after drinking throughout
the night with a group of friends.
After being driven home by a friend, Smith got in his car to drive to another friend's house about 6am.
At 6.15am he spotted a 73-year-old woman on an early morning walk with her dog, did a U-turn and followed her.
The court was told the woman was in a state of panic as Smith tailed her for more than a kilometre, verging on to the
wrong side of the road to travel alongside her.
The elderly victim escaped Smith when she hid behind a tree in a park at the end of a dead-end street.
A short time later Smith spotted a 60-year-old woman delivering advertising pamphlets.
He drove past her, then turned back and got out of his car armed with a small crowbar.
Grabbing the woman from behind, Smith placed his arm around her and pressed his body against her, before pushing her
to the ground and striking her on the head with the crowbar.
He then dragged the bleeding woman into his car and drove her to a secluded location.
When he stopped the car he told her he was going to have sex with her.
Despite pleas from the woman that she was a widow of 20 years who had not had sex since her husband died, Smith
straddled the woman, keeping a hood of her jumper pulled over her face.
He raped the woman with a finger and his penis before dragging her from the car and drove away, leaving her lying
face down in the gravel carpark, naked from the waist down and bleeding from a head wound.
AAP (March 2004)
Listing Australian Convicted Paedophiles/ Sex Offenders/ Child Killers..
FREE Public Service..
Safety For Women
Report Sex Crime
Victim Assistance/ Referral
Copyright © MAKO
2011. All Rights Reserved.