Basketball Star Sorry For Sex Act
RAPE charges have been
dropped against basketballer
Kobe Bryant after his alleged
victim refused to give evidence.
The Los Angeles Lakers National
Basketball Association star, 26,
who had been facing life in jail if
convicted, can never be charged
again over the alleged rape, under
a deal between prosecutors and
The dramatic development culminated 14 months of legal wrangling since the then-19-year-old
woman accused the superstar of
assaulting her at an exclusive resort
near Eagle, Colorado on June 30,
2004. In a dramatic end to proceedings, prosecutors said they had no
choice but to drop the case after
Bryant's alleged victim, now 20,
who has never been publicly
named, refused to take any further
part in the trial.
Speculation was mounting last
night a deal had been struck between Bryant and his accuser to
drop the case, but the Bryant legal
team is insisting no money has been
given to the accuser. The woman's
lawyer, John Clune, said she had
not asked for any monetary settlement, but had filed a civil suit
against Bryant which was going
forward in a federal court in Denver.
Bryant, who denied rape but acknowledged a sexual encounter he
said was consensual, issued a statement, apologising to the woman.
her family and to residents of Eagle
"for my behaviour that night and
the consequences she has suffered". In a deal between parties,
Bryant's statement about the case
cannot be used in the civil action.
Adelaide Advertiser (3-9-2004)